[Samba] samba-tool dbcheck: UnicodeDecodeError' with Samba 4.9.4

miguel medalha medalist at sapo.pt
Tue Mar 5 17:10:29 UTC 2019

I decided to give Samba 4.9.x a new try as AD DC in one of my servers. 
It has been running version 4.8.9. I installed version 4.9.4 and when I 
ran samba-tool dbcheck I still obtained the following error message:

ERROR(<type 'exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError'>): uncaught exception - 
'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 25: ordinal not in 
line 177, in _run
     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
line 157, in run
     controls=controls, attrs=attrs)
line 222, in check_database
     error_count += self.check_object(object.dn, attrs=attrs)
line 2315, in check_object
     expected_dn = ldb.Dn(self.samdb, "RDN=RDN,%s" % (parent_dn))

Looks like the Unicode problem with Python 2.6.x is not yet solved.

This particular machine is running CentOS 6.10. I cannot upgrade to 7.x 
yet because it has discontinued support for a particular RAID controller 
in use (IBM Megaraid, ips.ko driver).

More information about the samba mailing list