[Samba] getent not working after installing firewall

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Mar 5 08:18:28 UTC 2019

Solution is really simple.
Since this server is dual-homed ( 2 nic's ), i suggest setup advanced routing tables.

The short version of howto setup.

edit /etc/iproute2/rt_tables and Add :
10 OfficeLan
20 InternetWan

Lookup the routing tables:
ip route show table OfficeLan
ip route show table InternetWan

The default gateway's is to the internet.  ( change ethX to you network interface name )

ip route add default via internet_IP_HERE dev eth0 table InternetWan
ip route add default via lan_IP_HERE dev eth1 table OfficeLan

Check it :
ip route show table main

Add lan routing rules.
ip rule add from lan_IP_HERE/24 lookup OfficeLan prio 900
ip rule add to lan_IP_HERE/24 lookup OfficeLan prio 900

ip rule

Add Wan routing rules.
ip rule add from  internet_IP_HERE lookup OfficeLan prio 1000
ip rule add to internet_IP_HERE lookup OfficeLan prio 1000

If you want this in the network interface setup.
# The primary network interface ETH0 ( LAN )
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.236/24
		# 192.168.0.1 = Gateway IP LAN ( in this example an other server )
		post-up ip route add 192.168.0.1 dev eth0 src 192.168.0.236 table OfficeLan
		# extra subnet examplle# post-up ip route add 10.12.0.0/16 via 192.168.0.1 dev eth0
		post-up ip route add default via 192.168.0.1 table OfficeLan
		post-up ip rule add from 192.168.0.236 table OfficeLan
		post-up ip route add 127.0.0.0/8 dev lo table OfficeLan
		post-down ip rule del from 192.168.0.236 table OfficeLan

# The secondary network interface ETH1 ( WAN )
allow-hotplug eth1
iface eth1 inet static
        address internet_IP_HERE/xx
        post-up ip route add internet_IP_HERE/XX dev eth1 src internet_GATEWAYIP_HERE table InternetWan
        post-up ip route add default via internet_GATEWAYIP_HERE table InternetWan
        post-up ip rule add from internet_IP_HERE/XX table InternetWan
        post-up ip route add 127.0.0.0/8 dev lo table InternetWan
        post-down ip rule del from internet_IP_HERE table InternetWan
        post-up ip route add default scope global nexthop via internet_GATEWAYIP_HERE dev eth1

Or google "advanced routing tables"

Greetz,

Louis