[Samba] getent not working after installing firewall

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Mon Mar 4 23:22:55 UTC 2019

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 21:18:36 +0000 Rowland Penny wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 15:57:16 -0500
> Mark Foley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 20:43:17 +0000 Rowland Penny wrote:

> > > Something strange going on here, If you use dhcp to set your IP
> > > info, you only need this in /etc/hosts:
> > >
> > > rowland at devstation:~$ cat /etc/hosts
> > > 127.0.0.1	localhost
> > >
> > > # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
> > > ::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> > > ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> > > ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> > >
> > > Which if you then run the commands I asked you to run, you get
> > > these:
> > >
> > > rowland at devstation:~$ hostname -s
> > > devstation
> > > rowland at devstation:~$ hostname -d
> > > samdom.example.com
> > > rowland at devstation:~$ hostname -f
> > > devstation.samdom.example.com
> > > rowland at devstation:~$ hostname -i
> > > 192.168.0.88
> > >
> > > and getent returns this:
> > >
> > > rowland at devstation:~$ getent passwd rowland
> > > rowland:*:10000:10000:Rowland Penny:/home/rowland:/bin/bash
> > >
> > > I do not use dhcpcd, I just use the isc-dhcp-client.
> > >
> > > I repeat, I do not see the point of dhcpcd, it is just another
> > > layer in the dhcp stack and, in my opinion, an unnecessary layer.
> >
> > I'm probably not going to disassemble use of dhcpd/dhcpcd. Too much
> > uses it. I'm not familiar with isc-dhcp-client.
>
> Again I ask, are you using dhcpd or dhcpcd ? they are different
> programs. Normally you do not have to configure isc-dhcp-client, just
> install it.
>

> > I have changed /etc/hosts as you suggested.  This did not help with
> > the 'getent' problem, nor do I see how that would affect 'getent'
> > working for the usual user of the workstation, but not for other
> > domain users, nor why 'getent passwd' returns NO domain users.
> >

> This is something I don't understand either, just installing a firewall
> device shouldn't affect getent, but it is possible that it has
> highlighted an underlying problem.
>
> > As an experiment, I will hard-code the IP, etc. for one of the
> > workstations so as to elimimate the dhcp and gateway possibilities
> > from the discussion. I'll post back results.
> >
> > --Mark
> >

> Lets see what happens.

Ok, to hopefully dispense with all gateway/nameserver issues, I've modified one Linux domain
member to have a static IP and gateway and hand edited resolv.conf as follows:

# ifconfig
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.0.60  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.0.255

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    1      0        0 eth0

/etc/resolv.conf:
nameserver 192.168.0.2
nameserver 209.18.47.62

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1               localhost
192.168.0.60            ccarter

So, the gateway is the Sonicwall firewall, 192.168.0.1. Nameservers are the DC (192.168.0.2)
and one of the ISP name servers. The IP is static and is set in /etc/hosts. At this point,
there should be no issues or questions with respect to which gateway or DHCP usage (DHCP is not
being used).

Nevertheless, On this host I can still 'getent' for the user that normally uses this host, but
not for any other domain user:

$ getent passwd charlie
charlie:*:10003:10000:Charlie Carter:/home/HPRS/charlie:/bin/bash

$ getent passwd mark

At this point I think we can agree that this issue has nothing to do with gateway or DHCP
settings.

The fact that I can 'getent' for a recent user but not for other users hints at some kind of
credential caching.

More information:

I thought I'd try un-joining one of the Linux domain members, then re-joining to see if it
would reset things. I was able to successfully un-join:

$ net ads leave -U Administrator

But when I tried to open ADUC on a Windows workstation to confirm, I got the error: "Naming
information cannot be located for the following reasons: The server is not operational."
Normally, I use ADUC all the time.

When I tried to re-join the domain on the same computer:

$ net ads join -U Administrator
Enter Administrator's password:
Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain 'HPRS' over rpc: Undetermined error

The Sonicwall tech insists that no ports are blocked within the LAN.

Is there any way to get more information about what is failing? Nothing is logged on the domain
member in syslog, messages, debug or log.samba. On the DC, nothing is logged in
/var/log/log.samba. On the DC /etc/samba/smb.conf has:

    log level = 2 passdb:5 auth:10 winbind:2 lanman:10

Would setting this log level higher give us more information? There is no specific log level
set on the domain member.

Or - I can throw away the firewall!

--Mark