[Samba] getent not working after installing firewall

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Mar 4 20:28:19 UTC 2019

Am 04.03.19 um 21:18 schrieb Mark Foley via samba:
>> It shouldn't, you normally only have one gateway, it is by definition
>> the 'gateway' to the WAN & internet, so I would use the same one on all
>> your machines.
>
> The LAN host gateways are assiged by the dhcpd server.  Unless I hard-code static IP's I can't
> really change that.  The Windows computers likewise show the AD/DC (192.168.0.1) as the gateway
> and they all work fine.
how does that matter?

your gateway is only part of the game when you try to reach an IP
outside your LAN

you said "Last evening I installed a Sonicwall firewall between the
Internet and office LAN. The only change that I know of for the LAN
workstations was that the gateway is now 192.168.0.1 instead of
192.168.0.2" but above you said "The Windows computers likewise show the
AD/DC (192.168.0.1) as the gateway"

so hell, what is the IP of your "Sonicwall firewall between the Internet
and office LAN" and if it's 192.168.0.1 that don't match "The Windows
computers likewise show the AD/DC (192.168.0.1) as the gateway"

the AD/DC *is not your gateway* - it's the "Sonicwall firewall"
connecting your LAN to the internet and nothing else