[Samba] getent not working after installing firewall

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Mon Mar 4 17:58:17 UTC 2019

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 17:18:31 +0000 Rowland Penny wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 11:48:00 -0500
> Mark Foley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 14:50:38 +0000 Rowland Penny wrote:

> > > Lets see if I have this correct, you have installed a firewall on
> > > something between the original gateway and your LAN, you have not
> > > touched anything else, except to point your computers to the new
> > > firewall as the gateway (presumably by DHCP). Is this correct ?
> > >
> > > You have logged into a DC and run:
> > >
> > > getent passwd username
> > >
> > > Which produces no output, where previously it did.
> > >
> > > Is the DC using itself as the nameserver ?
> > > Is the DC using the correct gateway ?
> > >
> > > Rowland
> >
> > Partially correct.  Before installing the firewall, the Gateway on
> > the AD/DC was configured as the ISP's gateway (98.102.63.105).  I
> > changed the gateway to be 192.168.0.1 (the Sonicwall).  I believe
> > that's all I did.  I did reboot the AD/DC.  The AD/DC is also the
> > DHCP server.
> >
> > I've testing with stopping the firewall on the AD/DC as well. Didn't
> > help.
> >
> > On the AD/DC 'getent passwd' does work.
> >
> > $ getent passwd mark
> > mark:x:10001:10000:Mark Foley:/home/HPRS/mark:/bin/bash
> >
> > On the Linux domain member workstation it does not.
> >
> > $ getent passwd mark; echo $?
> > 2
> >
> > However, the user of that workstation is able to log in using domain
> > credentials, ntlm_auth also works:
> >
> > $ ntlm_auth --username=mark --password='mypass'
> > NT_STATUS_OK: Success (0x0)
> >
> > BTW - The MAC workstations cannot now authenticate with domain
> > credentials.  I tried to unbind and rebind one of the workstations,
> > but when trying to unbind I got the message, "Unable to access domain
> > controller".  It can see the domain controller:
> >
> > $ host mail
> > mail.hprs.local has address 192.168.0.2
> >
> > However, this is possibly an additional/separate (though related)
> > issue.  I don't want to complicate the original question.  I can deal
> > with the Macs later and perhaps solving the Linux issue will
> > magically solve the Mac issue.  I've including the Mac information in
> > case it provides additional clues.
> >
> > As I said, no problems whatsoever with the Windows 7 domain members.
> >
> > --Mark
> >

> OK, just a thought, is there a dhcp server running on your sonicwall ?

No. I configured the Sonicwall with the tech last night and I'm sure it's not running the DHCP
server. The AD/DC (Mail) is running dhcpd. (but I'll double-check)

> What does running 'route' show (you will probably have to do this as
> root or via sudo). It should show your sonicwall as the gateway.
> try running these:

Yes, shows Sonicwall On the AD/DC:

$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    1      0        0 eth1
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1

On the domain members, shows the AD/DC as the gateway:

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         mail.hprs.local 0.0.0.0         UG    202    0        0 eth0
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     202    0        0 eth0

> hostname -s
> hostname -d
> hostname -i
> hostname -I
>
> Do they show what you expect ?

On the domain member (labrat):

$ hostname -s
labrat

$ hostname -d
hprs.local

$ hostname -i
127.0.0.1

$ hostname -I
hostname: invalid option -- 'I'

I believe these show as expected (except for -I). Agreed?

> What is in /etc/resolv.conf

On AD/DC (MAIL 192.168.0.2, is the LAN DNS server):

domain hprs.local
search hprs.local
nameserver 192.168.0.2

On Domain Member (labrat)

# Generated by dhcpcd from eth0.dhcp
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
domain hprs.local
nameserver 192.168.0.2
nameserver 192.168.0.3
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

None of the host have problem resolving internal or external hostnames.

--Mark