[Samba] getent not working after installing firewall

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Mar 4 14:50:38 UTC 2019

On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 09:15:12 -0500
Mark Foley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I have a rather strange and urgent problem. Last evening I installed
> a Sonicwall firewall between the Internet and office LAN. The only
> change that I know of for the LAN workstations was that the gateway
> is now 192.168.0.1 instead of 192.168.0.2. All workstations: Windows,
> Linux and Mac use DHCP and the AD/DC is the DHCP server, so I
> wouldn't think that mattered.
>
> All Windows workstations work fine, I didn't even have to reboot
> them.  Windows Users can log in, they have their redirected folders,
> etc.
>
> Having a problem on Linux. When I run 'getent passwd' it returns only
> the list of users in /etc/passwd on the AD/DC. No domain users are
> returned. 'getent passwd <domainuser>' return status 2.
>
> The domain user can log on to Linux.
>
> Any idea what's up with this? I use getent on Linux for various
> things.
>
> Thanks, Mark
>
> Samba 4.8.2

Lets see if I have this correct, you have installed a firewall on
something between the original gateway and your LAN, you have not
touched anything else, except to point your computers to the new
firewall as the gateway (presumably by DHCP). Is this correct ?

You have logged into a DC and run:

getent passwd username

Which produces no output, where previously it did.

Is the DC using itself as the nameserver ?
Is the DC using the correct gateway ?

Rowland