[Samba] getent not working after installing firewall

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Mon Mar 4 14:15:12 UTC 2019

I have a rather strange and urgent problem. Last evening I installed a Sonicwall firewall
between the Internet and office LAN. The only change that I know of for the LAN workstations
was that the gateway is now 192.168.0.1 instead of 192.168.0.2. All workstations: Windows,
Linux and Mac use DHCP and the AD/DC is the DHCP server, so I wouldn't think that mattered.

All Windows workstations work fine, I didn't even have to reboot them.  Windows Users can log
in, they have their redirected folders, etc.

Having a problem on Linux. When I run 'getent passwd' it returns only the list of users in
/etc/passwd on the AD/DC. No domain users are returned. 'getent passwd <domainuser>' return
status 2.

The domain user can log on to Linux.

Any idea what's up with this? I use getent on Linux for various things.

Thanks, Mark

Samba 4.8.2