[Samba] Samba 4 File Locking

Marco Shmerykowsky marco at sce-engineers.com
Sat Mar 2 12:33:06 UTC 2019

I have an old application that would kick up a warning
"File is open - do you want to open in read only mode"
on my previous Samba3 NT style domain set up.

It's also accessing the file share thru a connection
coming thru an VM setup.

On my Samba 4 AD setup, I'm not getting the initial
read only message.  file locking seems to be different.
It seems like two concurrent users can edit the file
and then run into locking issues when they try to dave.

Is this a SMB thing, a samba thing or a windows thing?
Is there a setting that can effect the behavior?

Thanks.