[Samba] SMB share access for machines which are not joined to the domain?

Goetz, Patrick G pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 25 16:57:00 UTC 2019

On 6/25/19 11:20 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

> Why can the machines not be joined to the domain ?

They're control PCs in a microscopy lab on a private network than can
access the SMB server (which is on 2 networks), but won't be able to
contact the campus-wide domain controllers.  Also, the software is
technically maintained by the vendor although we do install stuff.

We have a data collection pipeline that moves data directly the SMB
server (perhaps the least of this machine's functions), but when people
collect data outside the pipeline (which happens regularly) it would be
nice to be able to just drag it to an SMB-mounted drive.  Using winscp
is do-able, but not optimal; I tried setting them up with Expandrive,
but this inexplicably resulted in occasional data corruption on file
transfer, and now they don't trust it.