[Samba] dual boot challenge

Andreas Habel andreas.habel at uis.no
Fri Jun 21 10:37:04 UTC 2019

Hi,

my test setup currently consists of the following:

1 Linux AD DC
1 Linux file server as AD member
1 test pc with Win10/CentOS7 in dual boot mode

Domain users have one home directory for each operating system ( /users/<username> for Windows and /users/<username>/Linux for Linux) on the file server. The corresponding fields in the user database (homeDrive, unixHomeDirectory, homeDirectory) are set.

The Windows 10 installation works fine - the PC belongs to the domain, domain users can login, get their home drive mounted and have a roaming profile.

I am facing a problem with the CentOS installation. I installed samba according to the wiki (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member). After adding the CentOS installation to the domain, the Windows installation - naturally - got kicked out of the domain and users were no longer able to log in due to a broken trusted relationship.

Is there a way to solve this elegantly, i.e. using AD for authentication of (the same) users under Windows and Linux in a dual boot setup?

Andreas

--
Andreas Habel
Petroleum engineering lab