[Samba] Samba + SSSD: confirmed working for Samba versions 4.7.6 and 4, 8.3

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Jun 19 13:02:05 UTC 2019

Keep you naming conventions as they should.

wrong    netbios name = cns-bio-krak1
right    netbios name = CNS-BIO-KRAK1

If you resolving setup is correct.
Then you can use : disable netbios = yes  and dns proxy = yes
Then your netbios name should be resolved over dns.
But you still need to set it as shown above.

> Still need to find out if there is a
> way to allow a few non-domain machines to mount shares.

Add the needed REALM in /etc/krb5.conf
Add the computername to the DNS (A+PTR), create a user that keeps the needed SPN/UPN for the computer, the no joined computer.
Add CIFS/spn to it. something like that, im just to buzy to have a good look at it. ( optional add root/spn )
But now you should be able todo cifs mounts with kerberos without joining the domain.
Or just just user= pass= domain= for the mount settings.
mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/to/secret-info-file //host.FQDN/share /mnt/folder

>net rpc rights list -U cns-pgoetz
>    Enter cns-pgoetz's password:
>    Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1
>    Connection failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

Thats most probley due to incorrect resolving setup.

Your on ubuntu?
Get this and run it/anonymize it.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thctlo/samba4/master/samba-collect-debug-info.sh

Im very buzy atm, so when can spare a few min i'll have a look but you have 4 people with in front of you.
So if needed anonymize it, and ask the list to have a look at it if you in a hurry.

Greetz,

Louis