[Samba] error when trying to copy file from samba share to old Windows CE share

Dan Arena ddan39 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 13:55:39 UTC 2019

Hello,

This error started after upgrading my distro(did a fresh install of
fedora 30 server edition), which upgraded samba from 4.1.20 to 4.10.4.
If I try to copy a file using a Windows 7 PC from the samba share to
an old Windows CE share (on a CNC router table, so can't upgrade it)
it tells me:

An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you
continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search
for help with this problem.

Error 0x8007007C: The system call level is not correct.

It shows this every time and refuses to copy the file. I am able to
copy the file from the samba share to the Windows PC just fine, and I
can read the file contents. I also tried then copying the file from
the Windows 7 PC to the Windows CE share and it still gives the error.
I am able to copy any other file from the Windows 7 PC to the Windows
CE share as long as it didn't originate from the samba share. The
smb.conf is almost exactly the same on the new server as my old server
that didn't have this issue. The only thing I had to add to get it
working with some of the windows PCs was "ntlm auth =
ntlmv1-permitted". This is a simple file share, no DC/AD setup.

Searching online for information about this error code did not turn up
much. Only interesting thing I found was at
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/adsi/win32-error-codes-for-adsi-2-0
where it mentions 0x8007007C could also be "LDAP_PROTOCOL_ERROR".

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = MYGROUP
        server string = Main File Server
        security = user
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted
        local master = yes
        os level = 66
        preferred master = yes
        wins support = yes

        load printers = no

        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        # maximum size of 10MB per log file, then rotate:
        max log size = 10000

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S, %D%w%S