[Samba] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Kerberos and NTLMv2 authentication

Edouard Guigné eguigne at pasteur-cayenne.fr
Tue Jun 18 13:35:30 UTC 2019

Hello,

On my system, nssswitch is like this :
passwd:     files sss
shadow:     files sss
group:      files sss

So I assumed that it works with SSSD, I do not notice any issue with Samba.
My share is accessible, permissions acls are working.
The only thing I noticed is maybe NTLMv2 is always used by default with
Samba.
/[2019/06/18 09:51:44.542476,  3]
../auth/auth_log.c:760(log_authentication_event_human_readable)//
//  Auth: [SMB2,(null)] user [MYDOMAIN]\[usertest] at [mar., 18 juin
2019 09:51:44.542436 -03] with [*NTLMv2*] status [NT_STATUS_OK]
workstation [WORKSTATIONTEST] remote host [ipv4:x.x.x.x:53352] became
[MYDOMAIN]\[usertest] [S-1-5-21-88155730-3905377117-2757874379-2078].
local host [ipv4:x.x.x.x:445]/

I changed to :

passwd:     files *winbind *
shadow:     files
group:      files *winbind *

N.B. : According to
"/Do not add the //|winbind|//entry to the NSS //|shadow|//database.
This can cause the //|wbinfo|//utility fail./"
Is that still true ?

But now, I cannot connect to the share at all with winbind instead of
sss in nsswitch.conf

I log, I get :
*/[2019/06/18 09:51:44.511561,  1]
../source3/lib/util.c:1699(name_to_fqdn)/**/
/**/  getaddrinfo: temporary failure in name resolution/*

However, I well join my linux station to MYDOMAIN with "realm join" command

and

# realm list
mydomain.local
   type: kerberos
   realm-name: MYDOMAIN.LOCAL
   domain-name: mydomain.local
   configured: kerberos-member
   server-software: active-directory
   client-software: winbind
   required-package: oddjob-mkhomedir
   required-package: oddjob
   required-package: samba-winbind-clients
   required-package: samba-winbind
   required-package: samba-common-tools
   login-formats: MYDOMAIN\%U
   login-policy: allow-any-login
mydomain.local
   type: kerberos
   realm-name: MYDOMAIN.LOCAL
   domain-name: mydomain.local
   configured: kerberos-member
   server-software: active-directory
   client-software: sssd
   required-package: oddjob
   required-package: oddjob-mkhomedir
   required-package: sssd
   required-package: adcli
   required-package: samba-common-tools
   login-formats: %U
   login-policy: allow-realm-logins

I checked /etc/resolv.conf, for me everything is correct ; the DNS IPs
are the IPs of the domain controllers on where DNS services are running.

I do not want to annoy anymore with my problem of a mixed configuration
SSSD / Winbindd ; but I would like to understand why this is working
only with SSSD and not with winbindd.
Maybe because I first join my linux station to the domain with SSSD ?
And then rejoined it to the domain with winbindd ?

Best Regards,

Edouard