[Samba] RPC Server Unavailable - Error
raghav at exzatechconsulting.com
Tue Jun 18 11:02:33 UTC 2019
We did not upgrade in the real sense of upgrade. We did not directly
apply the patch on the servers. Our steps were as follows:
1. Created an additional Domain Controller with Samba-AD 4.10.4.
2. Transferred the FSMO Roles to the new domain controller.
3. Stopped Samba-AD-DC and Bind9 services, demoted the Samba-4.7.6 DCs
with samba-tool domain demote command.
4. Cleaned the /usr/local/samba folder, removed the contents.
5. Upgraded the OS - CentOS 7.6, Python and changed the default Python
to Python 3.4.x.
6. ./configure, make & make install went on well without any errors.
7. Promoted Samba AS Domain Controllers using samba-tool command with
8. Removed the old krb5.conf from /etc/ and copied the krb5.conf from
9. Started samba-ad-dc service and bind9 service.
10. Transferred the FSMO Rolls back to the primary server which
originally held these rolls.
11. Demoted the temporary 5th server and removed it from the network.
*Any info in logs :* Really speaking, we did not notice. I will have to
store the logs separately when this error occurs again. But we have
observed that when this error occurs, we have seen that the replication
from the one which holds PDC emulator role to another particular server
fails and throws error RPC SERVER IS UNAVAILABLE.
*When this error occurs whether we restart samba or client *- For RSAT
and WIndows Desktop, sometimes we have to restart the client. More often
than not we restart the samba service on logon server and this error
disappears. Replication error also disappears.
We have to run samba-tool dbcheck and check the output. I will update it
Do I have to run this command on all 4 servers? or one server which
looks like giving trouble?
Thanks & regards,
Do not print this e-mail unless required. Save Paper & trees.
On 18/06/19 3:25 pm, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-06-17 at 20:14 +0530, Anantha Raghava via samba wrote:
>> We were running Samba-AD - Version 4.7.6 for over 2 years without any
>> errors. We have 4 Domain Controllers in our setup and DNS is BIND_DLZ
>> (BIND 9.9.4). Off late (since 8th June 2019) we upgraded the Samba-AD
>> version to 4.10.4 and all of sudden we started receiving the error "RPC
>> Server not available" when we are trying to join the new PCs to domain.
>> After multiple attempts the PC gets added to domain. We restart samba
>> server on the log on server, the error goes off. There is no specific
>> pattern for this appear to appear.
> Is there anything in the Samba logs?
>> We are receiving the same error whenever we are trying to add a new user
>> or modify a user attribute in RSAT. When this error comes, we have to
>> restart the RSAT server multiple times to start functioning again.
> Are you restarting Samba or RSAT on the client?
>> Is there is any specific reason for this error? How do we fix it.
> We will need much more detail to determine that. Does the server
> operate normally when not making modifications? What does samba-tool
> dbcheck say?
> If Rowand's suspicions are correct, have you tried a samba-tool dbcheck
> Andrew Bartlett
More information about the samba