[Samba] domain online backup

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Jun 18 09:55:00 UTC 2019

> Hmm, the guy that wrote the 'backup' tool also wrote this wiki page:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Back_up_and_Restoring_a_Samba_AD_DC
>
> Where, under the 'Creating Backups' heading, it says this:
>
> Note that you should run the backup as root.
>
> I would suggest that he knows best ;-)
>
> Rowland

Yes, i do agree, but when shown/explained like this, might helps finding/understanding,  this bug/problem better.

Run as root		: samba-tool domain backup offline
Run as any user	: samba-tool domain backup online --server=DC1 --targetdir=/tmp -Uadministrator

Where root is needed for all file access ( offline ) and adminstrator is needed for acl's withing the AD-DB. ( online )

And yes, i totaly agree, running it as root helps avoiding problems.

Greetz,

Louis