[Samba] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Kerberos and NTLMv2 authentication

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jun 17 18:06:01 UTC 2019

On 17/06/2019 18:37, Edouard Guigné via samba wrote:
> On my linux box (centos 7), I set Samba + Winbind against AD.
> But I also set SSSD against AD for an other purpose (sftp access).
>
> I am wondering if there is no risk to disable sftpd/sssd if I add
> winbind in /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
> Can Winbind and SSSD be installed on the same system if they are not
> used for the same purpose

We do not produce sssd, it is a Red-Hat product, so we do not know how
to configure it and have not tested its use with Samba.

What I can say is this, Red-Hat is now saying that they do not support
the use of sssd with Samba, you should use winbind, see here:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/system_administrators_guide/ch-file_and_print_servers#the_samba_services

I personally do not use sssd (I used to) and have nothing against it
except the fact that I now no longer know how to configure it.

It will be your choice whether to use it or not, but we cannot provide
support for it, for the reasons given above.

There is also very little that sssd can do, that winbind cannot and you
can usually find a workaround for the stuff it doesn't do.

Rowland