[Samba] Samba + sssd deployment: success and failure

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 03:24:53 UTC 2019

A SID is a "security identifier" - it identifies anything that can have
access control entries applied to it.

A domain has a SID, as does a user or a group. The term "SID", by itself,
doesn't indicate to which type of entity one is referring.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/secauthz/security-identifiers

The RID ("relative identifier") is the last **part of** a SID, to further
delineate an entity (e.g. a user within a domain).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-adts/b645c125-a7da-4097-84a1-2fa7cea07714#gt_df3d0b61-56cd-4dac-9402-982f1fedc41c