[Samba] (no subject)

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Fri Jun 14 14:31:10 UTC 2019

Hi Ryan,

> Sorry for the repost: my message delivery was set to digest, and that was
> hard to manage use for conversation. I changed that setting. So starting
> clean with the same subject...
>
> I don't care about SSSD or whether it's even on the machine or not. Right
> now, it's only used by the machine for login. It isn't used by Samba, and I
> am very careful to let libwbclient-sssd nowhere near the system to avoid
> the problems that causes.
>
> I have looked into the idmap_rid backend, and I do not understand how it
> could be helpful here. I'm not saying I think it isn't; I'm just saying I
> don't understand. If I'm missing something, please do help if you can.
>
> What I essentially need, which is accomplished by the configuration in the
> wiki article I provided for old Samba versions when winbindd is not used is:
>
> 1. Windows user attempts to access share with credentials from either
> already having logged in on a machine with a domain account or by employing
> "Connect using different credentials" to spontaneously login with a domain
> account.
>
> 2. Samba (with winbindd) performs authentication of username %U against
> Active Directory domain EXAMPLE.COM, effectively authenticating EXAMPLE.COM
> \%U
>
> 3. If authentication fails, stop. If authentication succeeds, ignore SID,
> groups and everything else from the AD server, because that server is
> *only* to be used for authentication of %U. Continue processing.
>
> 4. Use username %U to query the LDAP server at ldap.mydomain.com for UID,
> GID, and UNIX groups.

you can achieve the same thing in copying your uidnumber/gidnumber in
the AD attribute and use rfc2307 idmap module on your member server.

> 5. Given information returned from step 4, check user authorization against
> share definition requirements and permit access for user with UID and GID
> set as per LDAP lookup.
>
> And it's essentially just:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba,_Active_Directory_%26_LDAP

I'd say it isn't, in the sense that you want to have share definition
authorization, which are enforced by Samba (which then would require
Samba to know about group membership et al.). If you don't have any
share authorization, then UI guess you should be able to use filesystem
UGO/ACL restriction (as per the wiki page you mentionned).

But anyway, I encourage you to use more common configuration type. Samba
let you do many strange setups, but the less standard the setup, the
most chance you'll get to fall on strange non expected behavior...
rfc2307 is you friend here.

Cheers,

Denis

--