[Samba] Spring Cleanup / Migrating Samba 4.5 to 4.10

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Jun 14 12:42:55 UTC 2019

Hai,

Yes, correct.

> > And krb5-locales is on one but not the other.
> > Or remove from all, or add to all, if you dont use it, i
> suggest remove it.
>
> Right, that's just an artifact of how the servers were set up. Will
> clean that up.
>
> > For the upgrade path.
> > Read:   https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba
> > And this text file shows some good debian specific info
> > http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/Upgrade-info.txt
> > Some parts are already fixed, but its mainly making sure
> the smb.conf is correct for the version your upgradeing to.
> >
> > From 4.5, i suggest, goto 4.8 then 4.9 then 4.10, if you
> follow my repo.
> > Its the safest upgrade path as far i know. ( official or my repo )
>
> Alright, sounds good. Will probably stick with your repo,
> might as well.
>
> > If you want to follow debian official repo, then i suggest,
> stay on 4.5 or upgrade to 4.8 (my repo) until Debian Buster
> is released.
> > Thats because my 4.9 version is higher then Debian Official.
> >
> > I personaly do the DC with FSMO roles always first, after
> the samba upgrade i wait about 5 min,
> > this depends a bit on the AD-DB size/replication time, then
> reboot the server.
> > Then i do the other DC, same steps.
>
> How would I make sure that the AD DB is replicated? Check the time
> stamps of `samba-tool drs showrepl` ?

Yes, just run the replication check, and i often just watch "top"
And wait untill samba its CPU load drops to 0. then i do the other.
And before you start, as shown on the wiki page, samba-tool dbcheck
First fix things then upgrade.

> > One thing i do advice before you upgrade. Stongly adviced.
> >
> > Backup samba AD-DC and copy : /etc/samba /var/lib/samba
> /var/cache/samba
> >
> > On the members,
> > If you use backen RID, then do the samba on the members.
> > For backen AD i dont do that, but its still adviced to do also.
> > You on backend AD with the members, so your choice.. what
> to backup.
> > Paths are the same as the AD-DC folders. (/etc/samba
> /var/lib/samba /var/cache/samba /etc/krb5.keytab )
> >
> > If you have these folders, you can always downgrade, stop
> samba, restore above folders and start again.
> >
> > I make snapshots of my complete server, so my backup
> strategy is a bit different.
>
> We use ZFS snapshots for backups and replication, so we have
> those anyway.

Ah, thats good, that saves time if things go wrong.

Greetz,

Louis