[Samba] Moving Samba AD DC from one VM host to another: Preauthentication failed

Barry Ralphs b.ralphs at tippingstructural.com
Thu Jun 13 20:02:26 UTC 2019

I'm trying to move my current Samba AD DC VM from EXSi vSphere to
XenServer (XCP-NG).
I was able to export the VM to .OVA file & import it into XCP-NG fine.
I was able to open ADUC & the DNS manager in Windows without an issue.
But my web server had a lot of these errors in the log & couldn't mount
the SMB shares from the file server:
kerberos_kinit_password <HOSTNAME> failed: Preauthentication failed

Maybe the web server changed it's password in between the export &
import (it was a few days).
Does it just need to leave & rejoin the domain?
Or is there anything else I need to do on the DC after importing it into
the new host?

Both the DC & web server are on:
Samba version: 4.7.6
CentOS: 7.5.1804