[Samba] AD home drive

Praveen Ghimire PGhimire at sundata.com.au
Thu Jun 13 11:42:44 UTC 2019

Hi ,

We have an DC (Ubuntu18.04) which also acts as a file server. The server was recently classic upgraded to AD. Before that all the home drives were in /home. When we migrated to change we added the following in smb.conf to give users access to their existing home folders.

The problem now is that when we create a user either using samba-tool create user username or smbpasswd or even via RSAT, it doesn't auto create the home drive. The samba-tool create takes the -home-drive directive but doesn't actually create the drive. Does this mean we need to create the home drive first(i.e /home/username/samba)? If so do we then need to setup permissions to those folders manually?

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /home/%U/samba
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        directory mask = 0700
        directory mode = 0700
        browseable = No
        wide links = Yes
        vfs objects = full_audit

The other question is that the /var/log/samba/log.%m file has become huge, 9 GB. Following the below , we added the max log size = 1000 in smb.conf and did the reload. The log file still hasn't rotated. Are we missing something ? The audit level is at 4

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Logging_on_a_Samba_Server

Regards,
Praveen Ghimire