[Samba] sssd not a good idea

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 12 17:14:32 UTC 2019

On 12/06/2019 18:02, Goetz, Patrick G via samba wrote:
> So, the bug reports referenced below are in regard to having Samba be a
> domain member.  My question is why would I want Samba to be a domain
> member?  I want the machine Samba runs on to be a domain member, because
> there are other things going on on that machine as well.

You cannot have one without the other, a Unix computer without Samba is
just that, a Unix machine. Add Samba and you can join an AD domain, the
letters 'S', 'M' and 'B' in Samba are there for a reason.

Even if there are other things on the computer, they can probably be
integrated with AD.

>   From that perspective, unless you're using Samba as a PDC/BDC, the only
> security setting you ever want to use is
>
>       security = user
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes, using that means it can only be a standalone server and not part of
a domain.

Rowland