[Samba] Samba + sssd deployment: success and failure

Goetz, Patrick G pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 12 16:43:56 UTC 2019

On 6/12/19 11:10 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

> Why are you using sssd on a standalone server ?
>
> your users will be in /etc/passwd and the Samba database, I don't think
> sssd can talk to the Samba database.

I'm pretty sure what happens when you set [server role = standalone] is
that Samba then defers to /etc/nsswitch.conf for how authorization
should happen, and since sss is listed there and is set up to query the
AD domain, that's how users get authenticated.

In particular, it's not actually a standalone server but rather an AD
domain member so that Security Group-authorized domain users can use
their AD domain credentials for authentication on the machine.  There is
an entire lab of linux workstations set up this way.  Users log in to a
workstation using their AD credentials and their home directory (and
various data/software directories) are automounted from the same
fileserver we're trying to set Samba up on.  sssd also provides a
caching service to assist with timely authorization.  As I mentioned
previously, sssd bundles together the functionality of pam_ldap, nscd,
and probably some other tools.  This was all working fine until we
acquired the need to mount filesystems to a few Windows machines as well
(due to some compute-intensive analysis software that runs only on Windows).

After doing some more reading about winbind (the 2007 Carter "Using
Samba" book -- aside: why don't we have any updated Samba
documentation?!  Will post separately about the state of the smb.conf
man page), I have no a priori objections to using winbind instead of
sssd.  In particular, I wasn't aware that winbind had a PAM hook
allowing it to provide authentication for other services.  I do care
about clean, modular system design, though:

     Other Services           | Autonomous     |
       Requiring     ------>  | Authentication | <-----  Samba smbd
     Authentication           | Service        |

                      Can interface with LDAP/AD

It looks like the thing in the middle could be sssd or winbind; however
most of our linux boxes which are AD domain members don't provide SMB
file sharing services.  I only want to have to debug one
AD-authentication service (that's headache enough, believe me), so would
it make sense to run winbind on machines that are only using Samba for
administrative local use (i.e. no need to install full-blown Samba)?

I looked at the winbind rid service, and am worried this will map SIDs.
The other features I'm looking for:

  - We don't have and can't get the POSIX subsystem in our AD deployment,
    so I want the UID = SID; i.e not mapped in any way in order to
    facilitate subsequent aggregation (say of storage) of what are
    now independent labs.

  - Must support AD Security Groups because this is how we limit access
to particular machines.

  - It would be nice to be able to use AD groups for authorization; then
I wouldn't have to manage local groups in /etc/group (although ansible
makes this less of a chore than it used to be).  Right now this doesn't
seem to work with sssd; i.e. you can't chgrp files/folders to the AD
groups listed using, say `id pgoetz` on the domain-bound linux machine.

  - It would be super awesome if nested groups were supported.  Right
now sssd can't do this.