[Samba] Samba + sssd deployment: success and failure

Goetz, Patrick G pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 12 15:55:20 UTC 2019

On 6/12/19 7:00 AM, Rowland penny wrote:
> How are you actually running samba ?
> 	How are you actually running samba ?

I *think* setting

    security = user
    server role = auto

makes Samba run as a standalone server, which is fine, because
authentication is handled via /etc/nsswitch.conf:

   passwd:         compat systemd sss
   group:          compat systemd sss
   shadow:         compat sss
   gshadow:        files

Since you suggested that versions of Samba >= 4.8 must run winbind if a
domain member, and since the version that works (without winbind) is
4.8.3, this must be the case, or no?

> Aside:  Looks like the Samba team had a PPA for daily releases which was
> abandoned about a year ago: what happened with that?
>
> Didn't know we had one, care to post a link ?

Here is the link:

https://launchpad.net/~samba-team/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages