[Samba] Replace Windows Server 2008 DC by the Samba 4

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 12 07:07:49 UTC 2019

On 12/06/2019 03:26, Marcio Demetrio Bacci via samba wrote:
> I want to replace my Windows Server 2008 DC by the Samba 4.
>
> 1. What is the best way to do Active Directory replacement by the Samba 4?

Join a Samba DC to your existing Windows DC, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory

Then transfer/seize the FSMO roles to your new Samba DC, demote the
Windows Dc and then turn it off.

> 2. I want to deploy File Servers with Samba 4, how could I do it?

Read this for a start:

> 3. Do I need to enable Unix attributes in RSAT? In positive case, only for
> domain users?

No you don't have to use rfc2307 attributes, you only need them if you
require the same ID's everywhere.

I also do not understand the last part, all users will be domain users.

Rowland