[Samba] Samba + sssd deployment: success and failure

Goetz, Patrick G pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 11 19:38:59 UTC 2019

So, we have Samba file sharing working on CentOS 7.6 with sssd:

   [root at cns-srv-lnode2 samba]# cat /etc/redhat-release
   CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)
   [root at cns-srv-lnode2 samba]# smbd --version
   Version 4.8.3

Some smb.conf configuration details:

  - security = user
  - an idmap entry is unnecessary
  - disable netbios = yes
    works fine
  - pretty sure nmbd is unnecessary as well.

Unfortunately the same smb.conf/sssd.conf configuration does not work on
Ubuntu 18.04:

   root at kraken:/var/log/samba# cat /etc/lsb-release
   DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
   DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
   DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
   DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS"
   root at kraken:/var/log/samba# smbd --version
   Version 4.7.6-Ubuntu

It appears there were some major changes between Samba 4.7.6 and Samba
4.8.3 ?  On the functional CentOS system, when I try to map a share I
see something like this in the log files:

[2019/06/11 13:09:35.088714,  3]
../auth/kerberos/kerberos_pac.c:413(kerberos_decode_pac)
   Found account name from PAC: pgoetz [Goetz, Patrick G]

On the Ubuntu system I see

[2019/06/11 13:58:47.535611,  3]
../auth/ntlmssp/ntlmssp_server.c:454(ntlmssp_server_preauth)
   Got user=[pgoetz] domain=[austin] workstation=[CNS-VM-PGOETZ1]
len1=24 len2=332

What then happens is it looks for user pgoetz in a non-existent passdb
file, maps the username to guest, which is mapped to nobody, and then
the authentication fails.

Just want to confirm that the problem is with the Samba version before
upgrading from a PPA.

Aside:  Looks like the Samba team had a PPA for daily releases which was
abandoned about a year ago: what happened with that?