[Samba] Can't join Linux host to AD - "Improper format of Kerberos configuration file"

Andreas Habel andreas.habel at uis.no
Tue Jun 11 13:05:03 UTC 2019

Yes!

> > Here's the output of a couple of Kerberos-related commands (executed on
> the DC):
> >
> > # host -t SRV _kerberos._udp.ierlab.ux.uis.no
> > _kerberos._udp.ierlab.ux.uis.no has SRV record 0 100 88
> geo22.ierlab.ux.uis.no.
> >
> > # kinit administrator
> > Password for administrator at IERLAB.UX.UIS.NO:
> > # klist
> > Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
> > Default principal: administrator at IERLAB.UX.UIS.NO
> >
> > Valid starting       Expires              Service principal
> > 06/11/2019 14:00:34  06/12/2019 00:00:34
> krbtgt/IERLAB.UX.UIS.NO at IERLAB.UX.UIS.NO
> >          renew until 06/12/2019 14:00:30
> >

> >  From other threads on this list I learned that there could be a
> kdc.conf file; however, I can't find such a file on my DC.
> No, you shouldn't  have that file.
> >
> > So any help with the Kerberos configuration would be appreciated.
> >
> > Andreas
> >

> Lets start with you posting the smb.conf file from the machine that will
> not join.

smb.conf:

[global]
        security = ADS
        workgroup = IERLAB
        realm = IERLAB.UX.UIS.NO

        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level = 1

        # Default ID mapping configuration for local BUILTIN accounts
        # and groups on a domain member. The default (*) domain:
        # - must not overlap with any domain ID mapping configuration!
        # - must use a read-write-enabled back end, such as tdb.
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
        # - You must set a DOMAIN backend configuration
        # idmap config for the IERLAB domain
        idmap config IERLAB:backend = ad
        idmap config IERLAB:schema_mode = rfc2307
        idmap config IERLAB:range = 10000-999999
        idmap config IERLAB:unix_nss_info = yes

        vfs objects = acl_xattr
        map acl inherit = yes
        store dos attributes = yes

        # Template settings for login shell and home directory
        template shell = /bin/bash
        template homedir = /home/%U

Andreas