[Samba] SAMBA AD VFS:Recycle bad permissions

Kacper Wirski kacper.wirski at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 09:23:49 UTC 2019

I had similiar issue on samba 4.8 domain member (new files with wrong
permissions), when I realised that You need to list all modules that You
wish to use in "vfs objects" every time , there is no inheritance from
global -> shares that is if You have e.g.

[global]

vfs object = acl_xattr

..

[some share]

vfs object = recycle

..

On samba DC "acl_xattr" is set by default, but setting vfs object in a
specific share might override it (If I'm mistaken please someone correct
me, but it seems to be the case).

It means that in fact there is no "acl_xattr" set for [some share], and
You have to change it to:

vfs object = acl_xattr recycle (list all modules explicitly)

In my case missing "acl_xattr" module was the reason for wrong file
permissions in specific shares. All shares that had no "vfs object" set
were working correctly, because they used settings form [global].

Regards,

Kacper

---