[Samba] same username in /etc/passwd and in AD

Christian Naumer cn at brain-biotech.de
Tue Jun 4 14:08:55 UTC 2019

Am 04.06.19 um 13:24 schrieb Andreas Habel via samba:

> Let me explain today's situation. Today we use a Linux file server that serves for both Linux and Windows clients and that acts as a NT4 PDC. The client computers are dual boot Linux/Win 7. Under Linux, /etc/passwd, /etc/group and /etc/shadow are rsynced from a central server to all other Linux servers and clients in our network. The home folders for Linux users are mapped nfs shares that physically reside on the Linux file server (that also is our PDC). Windows users map their smb shares from the same server. Under Linux we have an application that relies on that users of this application exist in /etc/passwd. We use the same username/password for both the Windows domain and under Linux.

Well you can have the same functionality with just using the AD as user
database. We do it the same way. The only problem I see if your
application realy needs the data from /etc/passwd and can not use pam
for example.

If your application really needs /etc/passwd you could do this:

> -       an AD DC,
yes
> -       a Linux file server as domain member, but with /etc/passwd that has the same usernames as in AD,
here I would use a domain member with the AD backend. As you application
does not run on the file server (?)

> -       Windows clients (domain members),

yes

> -       Linux clients (not domain members, but with identical /etc/passwd like on file server and in AD).

yes (if you really need that application)

As said if you application can use pam it can all work without /etc/passwd.

As to the problems. In the setup you proposed I only see a problem with
the domain member as this one would see both types of users.

Regards

Christian

--
Dr. Christian Naumer
Research Scientist

B.R.A.I.N Aktiengesellschaft
Darmstaedter Str. 34-36, D-64673 Zwingenberg
e-mail cn at brain-biotech.de, homepage www.brain-biotech.de
fon +49-6251-9331-30  /   fax +49-6251-9331-11

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Zwingenberg/Bergstrasse
Registergericht AG Darmstadt, HRB 24758
Vorstand: Dr. Juergen Eck (Vorsitzender), Manfred Bender,
Ludger Roedder
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Georg Kellinghusen