[Samba] samba file server - sediskoperatorprivilege not being honored

Kacper Wirski kacper.wirski at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 11:29:58 UTC 2019

Hello,

Since nobody picked this up I will try to answer myself (hopefully
correctly).

I think I just misread documentation on wiki, but I would really
appreciate a clarification. In the wiki it states:

"To enable other accounts than the domain administrator to set
permissions on Windows, grant |Full control| (|rwx|) to the user or
group you granted the |SeDiskOperatorPrivilege| privilege."

Does the "domain administrator" mean EXACTLY the default "Administrator"
user, or should I understand it as "any member of Domain Admins group"?
If it's the former, than there is no issue (I can change share ACL from
windows client using Administrator without changing any of the
permissions i.e. owner:group can stay as root:root), if it's the latter,
than I have anissue, since none other user from Domain Admins can change
any ACL, unless i change owner/group or add  initial ACL to domain
admins (or any other user/group i gave sediskoperatorprivilege)

I suspect it's the former, but if not, than I'm doing something wrong.

Regards,

Kacper

---