[Samba] Cleanup after site deleted

Roy Eastwood spindles7 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 13:29:56 UTC 2019

Thanks Rowland,

On 29/07/2019 14:04, Rowland penny wrote:
> On 29/07/2019 13:44, Roy Eastwood via samba wrote:
> > Some time ago I created two sites in AD using RSAT tools.    Recently the need for these separate sites has gone, so I removed
all
> > the servers and workstations etc from these sites and put them back into 'Default-First-Site-Name' and deleted the sites.   I
have
> > just noticed that the DNS Manager is still showing one of the sites remaining (the other has disappeared).   Whilst it is
possible
> > to delete the individual entries, the site hierarchy remains, and attempting to delete the <site-name> using DNS Manager results
in
> > "The DNS domain cannot be deleted.   This function is not supported on this system.".  For example:
> >
> > <server>
> > |_Forward Lookup Zones
> >       |_<dns-domain>
> >           |_ _sites
> >               |_<site-name>
> >               |   |_ _tcp
> >               |_Default-First-Site-Name
> It looks to me that '<site-name>' has a child (tcp) and you cannot
> delete an object if it has a child.
> >

> > etc.      Shouldn't samba clean up after itself?     How can this be cleaned up manually?
>
> Does Windows clean up after itself ?

Don't know - never used sites in a-Windows-only AD.

> Try deleting the child.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit, I deleted the entries under the child (_tcp) eg the _gc, _kerberos & _ldap SRV entries,
then tried to delete the _tcp child entry to work up the tree.   However, since I posted the first message in this thread, I ran
"samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix" and it found (and fixed) deleted entries.    I have checked DNS Manager again and the branch
has been removed from the <dns-domain> zone.   The other zones, eg DomainDNSZone and the ForestDNSZone (where I didn't delete the
SRV entries) the <site-name> branches are still present.   I assume therefore if I delete all these SRV entries it will get sorted.
But shouldn't they get removed automatically?   (Clearly the other site was deleted automatically, but maybe that's because I
demoted the DC that was in that site?   Whereas I just moved the DC that was in this site back to Default-First-Site-Name.)

> Rowland

Thanks,
Roy