[Samba] RPM e problems with the discard of python2 for Samba 4.11 and its libraries

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 04:27:17 UTC 2019

I see an issue coming up with samba 4.11 and its requir3ements for
libtdb 1.4.x, libldb 1.6.x, libtalloc-2.2.x, and libtevent 0.10.x. As
best I can tell, all of these have discarded python 2.x support. But
for operating systems like RHEL 7, RHEL 8, and Fedora releases that
have published python2 versions of all the included python modules, it
creates an upgrade problem.

Dangling python 2.x modules will have to either be obsoleted, or
removed manually, to install only python3 versions of the modules. If
someone tries to upgrade the existing samba in place, or is not very
careful about existing dependencies, it means breaking the existing
Samba before an upgrade can occur in place, I noticed this today as I
started trying to test samba 4.11rc1.

I don't have solutions for this yet, but for RHEL 8, Fedora, the
Sernet RPM builders, and others who've been RPM backporting Samba to
RHEL and CentOS, I thought I'd give a heads-up.

Nico Kadel-Garcia