[Samba] Dynamic DNS record scavenging support

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 24 19:20:54 UTC 2019

On 24/07/2019 19:39, Christian Naumer via samba wrote:
> Hello all,
> some additional info:
> Samba version is 4.10.6 on Centos7 with sernet packages.
> I am using bind_dlz as dns.
> This happens on all DC regardless if scavening was enabled with the
> Windows DNS Manager.
> I enabled one new zone but this still happens. Replication is also not
> working then as the kcc seqfaults every view seconds.
> In the release notes it says:
>
> This support should however only be enabled on new zones or new
> installations. Sadly old Samba versions suffer from BUG #12451 and mark
> dynamic DNS records as static and static records as dynamic. While a
> dbcheck rule may be able to find these in the future, currently a
> reliable test has not been devised.
>
> THe domain was set up with samba 4.4. Does this mean even if I want to
> enable this only on a new zone created with 4.10 this will not work?
I cannot see how you can run this on an old domain because the code will
not be able to differentiate between the old zones and any new ones ?

> However I tink it should not crash? As I am not the only one
> (https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2019-May/222862.html) it maybe is
> a Bug?

However, it shouldn't crash just because a line is added to smb.conf,
somehow there should have been tests so this didn't happen. Can you
please open a bug report for this.

Rowland