[Samba] audit logging

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 24 16:04:37 UTC 2019

On 24/07/2019 16:52, Edouard Guigné via samba wrote:
> I ask because I would like to be reassured about it, because there are
> so many entries of this type in my logs.
You may be using a log level that is too high.

> The windows workstations are joined to the domain.
> At users sessions log on, a script mounts the samba share on each
> windows users sessions.
>
> I do not understand why a workstation joined to the domain tries to
> auth against samba ;
> because only domain users can auth successfully against my samba server.

As I said a computer is also a user, these are the objectclasses from a
user:

objectClass: top
objectClass: securityPrincipal
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: user

And these are from a Computer:

objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: user
objectClass: computer

Users & computers both have passwords and need to auth to the domain.

Rowland