[Samba] Determine PDC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 23 20:09:12 UTC 2019

On 23/07/2019 20:52, Robert A Wooldridge via samba wrote:
> I put samba on my network last week as a DC and then I transfered all
> 5 FSMO roles which I thought made it the PDC.  But now I'm not sure
> because trying to do a backup fails.  Is there a way to determine
> which machine is the PDC of a domain?

A PDC doesn't have any FSMO roles, only an AD DC can hold FSMO roles and
there are 7 of those:

SchemaMaster
InfrastructureMaster
RidAllocationMaster
PdcEmulationMaster
DomainNamingMaster
DomainDnsZonesMaster
ForestDnsZonesMaster

There is (as you can see above) a role called 'PDC Emulator' but this
has nothing to do with a PDC.

The roles do not need to be all on one DC, in fact, if you have 7 DCs,
you could have an FSMO role on each DC.

To see which DC holds which FSMO role, you can run on a DC:

samba-tool fsmo show

Rowland