[Samba] process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/users failed

Roy Eastwood spindles7 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 13:52:28 UTC 2019

I am getting the message:
	"smbd[<pid>]: process_usershare_file: stat of
/var/lib/samba/usershares/users failed. Permission denied"
followed by two:
	 "... No such file or directory"
messages in syslog of a new DC every few seconds since I moved the fsmo
roles and synchronised sysvol from the previous roles holder. (See previous
thread at: https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2019-July/224568.html for
more info.)

Certainly "/var/lib/samba/usershares" exists, but the sub-folder "users"
doesn't.

Finding a similar issue at: (though my installation is not in a container)
	https://github.com/gdiepen/volume-sharer/issues/4
I added the line:
	usershare path =
to smb.conf on the DC.   This has stopped the syslog messages.  But what
could have caused the problem - presumably the usershares path has got
changed somehow to "/var/lib/samba/usershares/users"?

Thanks,
Roy