[Samba] Can't find machine account

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 18 16:53:39 UTC 2019

On 18/07/2019 17:38, Robert A Wooldridge via samba wrote:
> On 07/18/2019 11:32 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> Hurrah and this part is easy ;-)
>>
>> You are starting the wrong binary, you need to start 'samba-ad-dc' ,
>> you may have to unmask it though.
> Yippee, that worked!  I was able to unmask (systemctl unmask
> samba-ad-dc) and samba started.  wbinfo --ping-dc returns the new DC!
> Also get correct groups and users with wbinfo -g, wbinfo -u!
>
> Now I hope I can finally get rid of that Server 2003 machine.
You will possibly have to create the dns records for your new DC, but
before you try, restart Samba and 'samba_dnsupdate' may do it for you.

> Is anyone working on getting that patch into the Debian python package?

Well, it's Tim's patch, so perhaps he is, but I would think it will need
to be more involved than just commenting out three lines. It will also
have to get into Samba's git before it gets anywhere near Debian ;-)

Rowland