[Samba] Can't find machine account

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 18 16:04:01 UTC 2019

On 18/07/2019 16:44, Robert A Wooldridge via samba wrote:

> On 07/18/2019 10:41 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>>
>> Anything from here on is nothing to do with your problem, it  is just
>> artefacts of the clean up.
>>
>> It seems to be failing whilst trying to add the 'A' record for your
>> new DC.
>>
>> Lets backtrack a little, I asked if the Windows DC was running a dns
>> server and you answered 'yes'. Lets expand that a little, what dns
>> server is running and where does it store the dns records ?
> The one that comes with windows.  You manage it from the dnsmgmt console.

I have never had to deal with a W2K AD server, but from my understanding
W2K didn't have the DNS records in AD, so I wondered if yours didn't
either. I am running out of ideas now.

Have you tried Tim's patch ?

Just in case you don't know how to apply the patch, it is pretty simple,
it just involves commenting out three lines, so it might be easier to
open 'join.py (/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/join.py on my DC),
find these lines:

             if ctx.dns_backend != "NONE":
                 ctx.join_add_dns_records()
                 ctx.join_replicate_new_dns_records()

Line 1405 in my version, under '    def do_join(ctx):'

just comment out those three lines, save & close, then try the join again.

Rowland