[Samba] Can't find machine account

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 18 15:41:12 UTC 2019

On 18/07/2019 16:31, Robert A Wooldridge via samba wrote:
> On 07/18/2019 10:20 AM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> I think this could be one of your problems, not entirely sure, but I
>> think the minimum function level reliably required is 2003, you may
>> have to remove that fileserver.
> No joy.  I was able to demote that file server using: samba-tool
> domain demote -Uadministrator
>
> And then I promoted the DC to Server 2003 level.  But attempting to
> join the new samba DC failed with the same error:
>
> Adding DNS A record ATHENA.edm-inc.com for IPv4 IP: 10.10.1.10
> Join failed - cleaning up

Anything from here on is nothing to do with your problem, it  is just
artefacts of the clean up.

It seems to be failing whilst trying to add the 'A' record for your new DC.

Lets backtrack a little, I asked if the Windows DC was running a dns
server and you answered 'yes'. Lets expand that a little, what dns
server is running and where does it store the dns records ?

Rowland