[Samba] messy replication

Adam Weremczuk adamw at matrixscience.com
Thu Jul 18 11:55:46 UTC 2019

On 18/07/19 12:33, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

> I would clone the DC you want keep, move the clone away from the
> domain (easiest way, unplug the ethernet) then remove the old dead DC
> from this and ensure it works. If you want to use Bind9 and don't have
> the 'dns-*' user, then run samba-upgradedns as I said earlier.
>
> Once you are sure just what to do, turn off the DC you don't want and
> then carry out the clean up procedure you used on the clone. This
> should get you back to just one DC.
>
> Rowland

A bit more clarification and background info.

Dc1 is a physical server running tonnes of critical stuff.
It can't easily be cloned or even disconnected.
It was set up before my time and for years the company had only one
domain controller.
The problem is dc1 server is a single point of failure.
I have already deployed a Proxmox stack which will provide much more
redundancy.
It will also allow to decouple numerous various services of dc1 server
and run them in separate LXC containers.
Once everything is migrated I'm still planning to have a single domain
controller since the hosting environment itself will be very resilient.

My plan is to:
1. Demote dc2 and make dc1 forget about it
2. Annihilate dc2
3. Gradually fix all config problems on dc1
4. Deploy brand new dc3 LXC container running newer samba version
5. Replicate AD from dc1 to dc3 and test
6. Dcpromo dc3 to own all roles
7. Annihilate dc1

That's quite a few steps but I'm still badly stuck on no 1 :(

Adam