[Samba] domain backup online

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 18 07:19:21 UTC 2019

On 18/07/2019 07:11, Ivan Jurišić via samba wrote:
> On 18. 07. 2019. 04:49, Tim Beale wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just to reiterate an important point, the 'domain backup' command is
>> there to backup your domain information, not your DC.
> Any good suggestion for make full domain backup in online? (without stop
> service)?
>> If you still have a working domain, then you can recover any DC by
>> simply rejoining it to the domain. Do not use backup/restore to recover
>> an individual DC.
> Domain work , I just wont extra backup.
OK, what Tim pointed out is, when you run the samba-tool backup command,
you are backing up the domain data, not an individual DC.

Whilst you have one working DC, you do not need any backups, you should
demote any none working DC's (forcibly if necessary) and create new DC's

You only need a backup if you suffer a catastrophic failure and need to
rebuild your entire domain. With good backups, you should be able to
rebuild your domain.

Note that the samba-tool backup tools will not backup any data in shares
other than the default ones created by a provision or join. You will
need to back these up separately.

You only really need to backup on one DC, but backing up other DC's for
redundancy reasons will not hurt.

Rowland