[Samba] streams_xattr & streams_depot

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jul 17 23:43:39 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 04:00:16PM -0600, Todd Thorson via samba wrote:
> A couple of questions about the above:
> 1. In their respective man pages, both refer to "NTFS alternate data streams”, however they are not limited to just NTFS ADS are they?  Other file systems may also use ADS (such as Mac OS’s various fs)
> 2. What is the essential differences and similarities between the two?  From the man pages it appears that:
> 	- xattr has default prefix (which can be changed) - does depot have default prefix or free-form?
> 	- xattr stores data in posix extended attributes - can depot store the same?
> 	- depot stores data in files in separate directory - where does xattr store its data?

xattr's store the streams as EA's attached to each file/directory.
As you said, depot stores data in files in separate directories.

> 3. depot is marked as “experimental” however my QNAP NAS uses it in its production OS (vfs objects =  shadow_copy2 catia fruit qnap_macea streams_depot aio_pthread).  Why is it still experimental?

They must have tested this and found it to
be acceptable in read-world use. Samba as
the project isn't willing to make that assertion
yet.

> 4. Would there be any issues with files to/from my Mac clients to separate
> NASs - one the QNAP, the other using the recommended fruit parameters (vfs objects = catia fruit xattr)

Should work, but test yourself of course :-).