[Samba] Syncing Sysvol

Jonathon Reinhart jonathon.reinhart at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 20:22:04 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 12:32 PM Rowland penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 16/07/2019 16:40, Jonathon Reinhart wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 9:32 AM Rowland penny via samba
> > <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> >> It doesn't really matter, but it is probably best practise to only carry
> >> out GPO operations on one DC and the PDC Emulator DC is probably the
> >> best one to use.
> > Absolutely, all of my plans and scripts assume this. I also enforce it
> > by marking Sysvol and netlogon as "read only = yes" on
> > non-PDC-Emulators.
> >
> >>   From my knowledge, inotify only works on the computer it is installed
> >> on, so how do you suggest that inotify could watch for something
> >> happening on another computer ?
> > I'm not referring to inotify; I'm talking about the smbcient "notify"
> > command, or libsmbclient smbc_notify() API.
>
> I don't think this does what you think, from 'man smbclient':
>
>         notify <dir name>
>             Query a directory for change notifications. This command
> issues a
>             recursive filechangenotify call for all possible changes. As
>             changes come in will print one line per change. See
>             https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn392331.aspx for a
>             description of the action numbers that this command prints.
>
>             This command never ends, it waits for event indefinitely.
>
> So I think for this to work, you would have to keep a connection open to
> sysvol on the PDC Emulator at all times. I have never used 'notify', so
> I am guessing here, the above seems to be the total of the documentation
> available.

That's exactly what I'm proposing. Instead of running a cron job,
you'd run this script like a daemon. It would continuously read the
output of a "smbclient -c '... notify ...'" process, and when it is
notified of a change, then you would sync that changed file.

> It could just be the most underused part of Samba ;-)

If you look back at my reply to Joachim's original post, you'll see
that this is what I was suggesting; except I wanted to implement it in
Python using libsmbclient, rather than in a shell script:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2019-July/224347.html