[Samba] Syncing Sysvol

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 16 17:08:12 UTC 2019

On 16/07/2019 17:44, Joachim Lindenberg via samba wrote:
> Jonathon suggested in https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2019-July/224347.html to set non PDCs to readonly. Actually this could be done automatically set when generating smb.conf during join as (secondary) DC. Then the script could also just exit if sysvol is not readonly.
Not sure how easy this would be, '--option' will only add lines to
[global], so the 'join' code would have to be changed.
> w.r.t. to my initial script:
>
> - you fixed the issue of that I used $pdc and $peer inconsistently,
>
> - because of https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2019-July/224354.html it does not work in my network. I suggest to either stick to my variant of identifying the PDC or adding a check as well,

I think adding something to check that only one PDC Emulator is returned
is the way to go.

Let me think about your problem, you should be able to remove the old
record with samba-tool, you probably just need the correct 'incantation' ;-)

> - writing about error checks: what about testing availability of smbclient and other prerequesites if any,
This is fairly easy, use 'which' or 'type' to check if 'smbclient' is
installed.

> - I had to add --- | grep -v " blocks of size " --- after smbclient… dir *” because replication was triggered due to other file system activity,
Hmm, never got that
> Nevertheless you write scripts better than I do, appreciated!

I have probably been at it longer than you, there has to be some benefit
in getting old ;-)

Rowland