[Samba] Syncing Sysvol

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 16 16:32:03 UTC 2019

On 16/07/2019 16:40, Jonathon Reinhart wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 9:32 AM Rowland penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>> On 16/07/2019 14:16, Jonathon Reinhart wrote:

>>> Why does the PDC emulator role matter? All non-PDC-emulators could
>>> simply watch for changes on the PDC Emulator, right? Am I missing
>>> something?
>> It doesn't really matter, but it is probably best practise to only carry
>> out GPO operations on one DC and the PDC Emulator DC is probably the
>> best one to use.
> Absolutely, all of my plans and scripts assume this. I also enforce it
> by marking Sysvol and netlogon as "read only = yes" on
> non-PDC-Emulators.
>
>>   From my knowledge, inotify only works on the computer it is installed
>> on, so how do you suggest that inotify could watch for something
>> happening on another computer ?
> I'm not referring to inotify; I'm talking about the smbcient "notify"
> command, or libsmbclient smbc_notify() API.

I don't think this does what you think, from 'man smbclient':

        notify <dir name>
            Query a directory for change notifications. This command
issues a
            recursive filechangenotify call for all possible changes. As
            changes come in will print one line per change. See
            https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn392331.aspx for a
            description of the action numbers that this command prints.

            This command never ends, it waits for event indefinitely.

So I think for this to work, you would have to keep a connection open to
sysvol on the PDC Emulator at all times. I have never used 'notify', so
I am guessing here, the above seems to be the total of the documentation
available.

It could just be the most underused part of Samba ;-)

Rowland