[Samba] messy replication

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 16 14:38:58 UTC 2019

On 16/07/2019 15:19, Adam Weremczuk via samba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm simply overwhelmed with both the speed and quality of responses.
>
> I wish all mailing lists and forums were like this!
>
> I'm going to follow your suggestions and try to follow the template
> below.
>
> My choice of new DC will probably be 4.9.5 on buster.
>
> What steps would you recommend to unlink my broken 4.0.9 -> 4.5.16
> replication before shutting down 4.5.16?
>
> Is it sufficient to follow this:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Demoting_a_Samba_AD_DC ?
>
> I'm just  being extra cautious and double checking.

You (because of your Samba version) can only demote the DC on the DC
itself, so just follow the info at the top of the page.

Can I also introduce you to a repo that will ultimately give you the
latest version of Samba:

http://apt.van-belle.nl/

I would fix DC1, then create a new DC running Debian stretch (this will
give you Samba 4.5.16), join this to your old DC and once it is working
correctly, transfer the FSMO roles to it and demote DC1. Upgrade stretch
to buster (make sure to back everything up) then start to use Louis's repo.

Rowland