[Samba] SAMBA AD DC - Windows explorer.exe crashes on security tab access

Joachim Lindenberg samba at lindenberg.one
Tue Jul 16 13:27:22 UTC 2019

1)	I agree to Rowland that there is a bug in Windows Explorer. Client software shall never crash in case it get´s unexpected responses from a server but display an error message. However I don´t expect a fix soon, as it is probably triggered very infrequently except for...

2)	There is probably a bug in Samba with ACL mapping for linux created directories.  You may want to compare the ACLs displayed for a windows created directory to one created by linux, using samba-tool ntacl. You may want to create an ACL on linux to prevent the crash. Nevertheless, Samba should not return anything to the client that causes clients to crash, but maybe an ACL that just contains SYSTEM.

I apologize for not reading sufficiently into the problem, sysvolreset would have fixed the issue only on sysvol and not on an arbitrary share. But as I wrote already, I experienced the windows bug with sysvol and noticed the ACLs on original and copy using smbclient are different.
@Amit, as I was not the one experiencing that issue, I cannot provide more to further elaborate.

Best Regards, Joachim