[Samba] Problem after upgrading to Debian 10

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 15 21:25:38 UTC 2019

On 15/07/2019 22:12, Alberto José García Fumero via samba wrote:
> El lun, 15-07-2019 a las 20:25 +0100, Rowland penny via samba escribió:
>>    I have got ask, why are you bothering with the Samba AD DC, the
>> standalone server has nothing to do with a domain.
>>
>> You really should upgrade from wheezy, I don't know if you noticed,
>> but
>> Debian 10 has just been released.
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> Well, the fact is, I have to. My workstation is now a Debian 10 one,
> all right, but the Debian Wheezy with Samba 4 ADS I can not change, at
> least for the moment. I do need to access the shared resources as I did
> until the upgrade of my workstation. And I'd prefer not to join my
> workstation to the ADS, except if this is the only solution.
I understand, but if I was in your shoes, I would be contacting whomever
does have control of the Wheezy machine and pointing out that to
continue using Wheezy is very insecure mainly because it is EOL and
contains packages that are subject to unresolved CVE's

> For the moment, I am able to mount shared resources of the Windows
> boxes in the domain using
> mount -t cifs //workstation/shared-resource /mnt -o user=administrator
> --verbose
>
> but of course this is not as comfortable a solution as the use of, for
> instance, Nautilus.

You better get used to either mapping shares or navigating to them via
UNC, this is because you need SMBv1 for network browsing and this is
going away. Windows 10 has this turned off by default (you can turn it
back on, but it isn't recommended), Samba 4.11.0 (the next version) will
also have it turned off by default.

Rowland