[Samba] SAMBA AD DC - Windows explorer.exe crashes on security tab access

Ábrahám Gyula abraham.gyula at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 14 21:03:52 UTC 2019

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with Raspbian Buster and a Samba AD DC is running on it. Everything works fine, I use Active Directory Users And Computers and Computer Management on Windows to control the users and the Samba share permissions. Until this point everything works fine, but the following error raised on Windows.

If there is a shared directory which was made by mkdir command and a UNIX user is the owner and/or a UNIX group is the group owner the following happens in Windows.

I do right click on the shared directory, select Properties and on the property window I select the Security tab the explorer.exe crashes and the property window being closed.
This phenomenon does not occur if the directory is made on Windows.

I found a mailing thread about this problem on samba mailing list:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2018-August/217676.html

But the thread ends with no solution unfortunately. The suspect that this is a bug related to Windows OS. Maybe someone who has met this error (bug?) and could help?

The samba version is 4.9.5-Debian. The OS on client machines is Windows 10 (1903). This error occurs on all Windows machines. I tried it on Windows 7 machine as well, the situation is the same.

Thank you!

Best,

Abraham