[Samba] Need help on Samba authentication with ldap

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jul 14 11:58:12 UTC 2019

On 14/07/2019 12:27, Chunduru, Krishnachaithanya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for the response.
>
> Below is the smb.conf. we haven't configured the shares yet.
>
> # See smb.conf.example for a more detailed config file or
> # read the smb.conf manpage.
> # Run 'testparm' to verify the config is correct after
> # you modified it.
>
> [global]
>          workgroup = SAMBA
>          security = user
>          passdb backend = tdbsam
>          printing = cups
>          printcap name = cups
>          load printers = yes
>          cups options = raw
>
> [homes]
>          comment = Home Directories
>          valid users = %S, %D%w%S
>          browseable = No
>          read only = No
>          inherit acls = Yes
>
> [printers]
>          comment = All Printers
>          path = /var/tmp
>          printable = Yes
>          create mask = 0600
>          browseable = No
>
> [print$]
>          comment = Printer Drivers
>          path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
>          write list = @printadmin root
>          force group = @printadmin
>          create mask = 0664
>          directory mask = 0775

There is no mention of ldap there, so how do you plan to use ldap ?

I will ask this again as you chose to ignore this question: Why do you
have to use ldap for authentication ?
>> Initially we planned the add the server to AD domain for authentication, but is not possible in our case.
> Why not, what was the problem ?
Again, an ignored question: Why can you not join the AD domain. ?
>> So we are having only option to authenticate users with ldaps. We have installed openldap-clients, openldap and nss_ldap packages and are stuck from there.

I think you need to explain your set up, it sounds like there is more to
this than at first sight.

Rowland